The following proposal for the ministerial staffing for our church was presented to the congregation on Sunday, April 15 with a follow up Town Hall discussion on Sunday, April 22. The proposal is scheduled to come before the church at a Called Church Conference THIS Sunday, May 20 at 9:15 AM in Webb Chapel.
Thank you for planning to be in the Church Conference this Sunday, May 20 at 9:15 AM following the 8:30 AM worship service led by our youth. Come prayerful and ready to engage in conversation together as we seek God’s wisdom together!! Your open and careful conversation will help us sense God’s direction.
Our ministers and their spouses will NOT be in attendance for the discussion of the proposal. Representatives from the following committees will be on hand to assist the conversation.
Background: This concept is proposed to the congregation for your consideration and discussion as we seek God’s wisdom about our ministerial staffing into the future. The Personnel Committee, Future Story Steering Committee, and the Deacons bring this recommendation unanimously for your attention. The proposal is an attempt to respond to the strategic opportunity before us in that we have vacancies at Minister of Music and Business Manager as well as the retirement of our Minister of Education at the end of this year.
Proposal Synopsis: In order to (1) accomplish the goals of our Future Story (2) to fulfill the desires of our congregation for ministry in our community (3) to capitalize on the strengths of our current staff ministers. The following transitions are proposed:
TONY TENCH – Transition to Executive Connections Pastor
CAROL ANN HOARD – Transition to Youth and Faith Community Pastor
MISSY SMITH – Transition to Children and Families Pastor (Full-time in 2019)
PERRY HOLLEMAN – Transition to Part-Time Senior Adult Pastor (January 2019)
These transitions will begin with the calling of an INTERIM PASTOR followed by the search for a new Lead Pastor who will lead the staff as senior minister and give input into the search for a new Worship Arts Pastor to lead our music and worship ministries. The proposal also includes calling out a Technology Coordinator (Part-time) to train volunteers, plan and execute technology operations and troubleshoot problems in preparation for and during worship services.
Also included is the recommendation to reserve designated funds to provide for a band to assist in the launch of a new outreach focused worship service for two years.
Definition of Terms: If the church approves the proposal, then detailed job descriptions will be written and presented to the church for final approval. As per the By-Laws, the Nominating Committee will nominate the search committee for the Interim Pastor and the Pastor Search Committee. These nominations will be voted on by the Church in Conference. The following thumbnail descriptions will help you see the direction of the proposal:
- Executive Connections Pastor: “Executive” refers to the care of business manager duties until such time that we can employ a part-time Business Manager at which time the title of this ministerial position will change to Connections Pastor.
- Connections Pastor: Instead of the current Minister of Education job description that we have traditionally filled, the connections pastor is a change of primary focus. Whereas the Minister of Education has functioned to support and execute the church program organizations (Sunday School, Discipleship Training, WMU and Men’s Ministry), the Connections job description will continue to resource the church program organizations, but it will have as its main focus a systematic spiritual formation process designed to grow us in our faith and connect us to opportunities to study, serve and live on mission in the world. A well-devised and organized approach to welcoming new believers and new members into our church, assimilating new members into the life of the church and encouraging spiritual growth in all age categories will be integral in this job description.
- Youth and Faith Community Pastor: Plans ministries & strategies for reaching to and discipling youth (6th-12th grade) and their families. Develops church-wide intergenerational mission, mentor and ministry interaction. Plans for ‘church family’ fellowship and events. Works with pastoral staff team in community building for the congregation across demographic needs.
- Children and Families Pastor: Currently as a part-time position, plans and executes ministries & strategies for reaching, discipling children (birth-5th grade) and encouraging their families. Incremental pay increase toward full time beginning ASAP. When expanded to full-time upon her graduation in 2019, the position will include ministries for parents and marriage enrichment.
- Senior Adult Pastor (part-time): Organize ministries for active senior adults and organize regular visitation to homebound senior adults beginning in January of 2019 following his retirement at the end of December 2018. Plan to have this position for three years and then evaluate.