For Such a Time as This
Day 17– September 7, 2018
By Jim McSwain
In Esther 4:14, Mordecai, the cousin of Esther, tells her that as Queen to King Ahasuerus she has an opportunity to provide deliverance to the Jewish nation from destruction and annihilation. Mordecai plants the idea and challenges her to consider that, perhaps, she has been brought by God to this role and this moment “for just such a time as this.”
As I look at my personal spiritual journey and the journey of our church today, Mordecai’s words strike a chord with me. Today, in our time, we are experiencing great challenges in our personal lives, our society, and the church. As the song says: “the times, they are a-changin.”
- What does that mean for us?
- What are we to do?
- What is our continuing future story to be in meeting our own spiritual needs as well as the needs of those around us?
- Are we to sit back and just let things happen as they will, or do we step forward in faith using our individual spiritual gifts and talents and seriously attempt to discern God’s direction and will for us as His ambassadors and representatives in our community?
- What is our true commitment to making a positive difference where we are at this moment in time as God’s people?
As a member of First Baptist, I believe 2 important questions to consider are:
- Have we been brought by our God to this specific moment in our lives and our church–for just such a time as this?
- Can we let this time pass without continuing to act to bring new life and vitality into our mission and ministry?
As we seek new worship and pastoral leadership, what do we really want our church to be and represent to others? In these changing and challenging times what can each of us do in terms of our own ministry and responsibility as God’s servants to work together in following His will and seeing that “His kingdom comes on earth as it is in heaven?”
May each of us sincerely and prayerfully think about how we are going to answer these questions as we move forward. May God continue to bless and guide us as we journey together!